Code of Ethics
Since 1982, the Construction Management Association of America (CMAA) has taken a leadership role in regard to critical issues impacting the construction and program management industry, including the setting of ethical standards of practice for the Professional Construction Manager.
The Board of Directors of CMAA has adopted the following Code of Professional Ethics of the Construction Manager (CODE) which apply to CMAA members in performance of their services as Construction and Program Managers. This Code applies to the individuals and to organizations who are members of CMAA.
All members of the Construction Management Association of America commit to conduct themselves and their practice of Construction and Program Management in accordance with the Code of Professional Ethics of the Construction Manager.
As a professional engaged in the business of providing construction and program management services, and as a member of CMAA, I agree to conduct myself and my business in accordance with the following:
- Client Service. I will serve my clients with honesty, integrity, candor, and objectivity. I will provide my services with competence, using reasonable care, skill and diligence consistent with the interests of my client and the applicable standard of care.
- Representation of Qualifications and Availability. I will only accept assignments for which I am qualified by my education, training, professional experience and technical competence, and I will assign staff to projects in accordance with their qualifications and commensurate with the services to be provided, and I will only make representations concerning my qualifications and availability which are truthful and accurate.
- Standards of Practice. I will furnish my services in a manner consistent with the established and accepted standards of the profession and with the laws and regulations which govern its practice.
- Fair Competition. I will represent my project experience accurately to my prospective clients and offer services and staff that I am capable of delivering. I will develop my professional reputation on the basis of my direct experience and service provided, and I will only engage in fair competition for assignments.
- Conflicts of Interest. I will endeavor to avoid conflicts of interest; and will disclose conflicts which in my opinion may impair my objectivity or integrity.
- Fair Compensation. I will negotiate fairly and openly with my clients in establishing a basis for compensation, and I will charge fees and expenses that are reasonable and commensurate with the services to be provided and the responsibilities and risks to be assumed.
- Release of Information. I will only make statements that are truthful, and I will keep information and records confidential when appropriate and protect the proprietary interests of my clients and professional colleagues.
- Public Welfare. I will not discriminate in the performance of my Services on the basis of race, religion, national origin, age, disability, gender or sexual orientation. I will not knowingly violate any law, statute, or regulation in the performance of my professional services.
- Professional Development. I will continue to develop my professional knowledge and competency as Construction Manager, and I will contribute to the advancement of the construction and program management practice as a profession by fostering research and education and through the encouragement of fellow practitioners.
- Integrity of the Profession. I will avoid actions which promote my own self-interest at the expense of the profession, and I will uphold the standards of the construction management profession with honor and dignity.